Jan 11, 2012

The Road Taken

I found my first documentary video - 'The Road Taken' (2006) about Doctors Without Borders - and decided to post it here, so I do not have to search for it next time.


This was one of my assignments at Hunter College, CUNY, in the fall semester of 2006. We teamed up with Carlos Chavez and Cecilia Li Wong. We went to Central Park, where MSF had an exhibit/refugee camp for a few months. We shot the refugee camp with tents, medical supplies, and hundreds of visitors and interviewed some people at the camp (unfortunately not all of the footage was included in the final version). Li Wong went to the main MSF office and arranged for us to have an interview with Mary Ann Hopkins, the surgeon, and Brett Davis, logistician. The interviews went more or less smoothly, taking in account it was our first time ever interview. Besides, it was our real chance to learn to use the camera and microphones. It took me two semesters to edit and re-edit the footage and below are the two versions.


I’m proud of this short documentary. It was a great experience. Now, 6 years later, I realize that I have not done anything else as meaningful and rewarding as this documentary.


Also, when this video was on video.google.com, it got onto the Google Picks list along with self tying shoe laces and sweet kittens and was getting thousands clicks. Since video.google is no more, I had to transfer vids to youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPacOmws5Lk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imrG0fe7RxU




The Road Taken, 2007 (final version) (TRT 8:26)






The Road Taken, 2006 (first version)(TRT 12:38)

No comments:

Post a Comment